Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Holy Family

Last night, my husband and I babysat for his brother, who has a four year old girl and a three year old boy. When we got to the house, we chatted with the bro and sis in law before they headed off for their date.  In the middle of our chatting, the little girl came up to me with a sweet little ceramic figurine of the Holy Family and said, "Here, Jesser, this is for you."  I said, "are you sure you want to give that away, it is very pretty."  And she said, "yeah, it's for you."  It was just the sweetest gesture.  I don't know what prompted her to do that.  Her mom was surprised by it, but said I should take it.

So, it caused me to start thinking about it and ponder it in my heart ("Mary treasured all these things, pondering them in her heart.").  Could this little girl have been inspired by the Holy Spirit?  If so, what does this mean?  Is it a sign of hope, a message that one day, we too will have a family?  I like to think that it is.  It brings me comfort to think that.  It reminds me that God does hear me and that he loves me, issues I struggle with so much.  It also fits in with an experience I had in the adoration chapel a couple of months ago.  I was there, pleading with God to just let me know one way or the other so I could work on accepting His answer.  If it is no, then I will be able to move on and stop all of this medical treatment.  What I heard in response was "You're not hearing no."  So, that gave me strength to keep going.  Now, again, I feel that, with this little girl's kind gesture, maybe He is speaking to me again, telling me I am on the right path.

Also, interestingly, we have a Holy Family statue that someone gave us when we got married, and it has been on my husband's dresser for quite a while.  Recently, I moved it to the mantle in the living room, right underneath our painting of Mary and baby Jesus.  I think it's an interesting coincidence that these two things have happened so closely together.  I like to think it means something.

No comments:

Post a Comment