Saturday, June 2, 2012

One Project Down!

I finally finished the little baby shorts that I started 3 years ago and, drum roll, here they are:


I got the pattern from Debbie Bliss's book, "Essential Baby."  I was supposed to use her cashmerino yarn, but the store I went to way back then didn't have anything like that, so I just used cotton.  I think they turned out pretty good, although I imagine they would have been softer and less "stiff" if I had that fancy schamncy yarn.  Oh well!  And, I was supposed to turn the bottom edge under and stitch it in place.  I don't get the point of that.  It would be super hard to get that tiny edge pinned down in the spot she calls for, and I like the little trim at the bottom.  

Now, my next project, which I hope to get started on today if my yarn arrives, is the duffle coat from the same book:

It will probably take me forever, but how cute is that?!  And, this time I searched the internet and ordered the yarn the project calls for.  So, I'm super excited!  


Other projects I want to do from the book are the felted slippers, which I have made for several other people before, and now I can finally make them for my baby!  yeah!  And, there is a cute pattern for cable knit socks.  I have never done any cable knitting before, but I'm willing to give it a try, especially given it's a small project.  After that, there is a very cute pinafore dress in the book, but we're not finding out what we're having.  So, if I make it, and we have a boy, dang.  I guess I could save it in case we have another baby and it turns out to be a girl.  Maybe I will wait on that one until after the baby is born.  The only other thing in the book I am interested in is this cute hooded carrying bag, which is like a zippered sleepsack with a hood.  But, it calls for 8 dang balls of debbie bliss yarn, which would be super expensive, and I can't imagine how much use it would get.  I think I would more likely use the swaddler blanket contraption thingies I've seen in the stores.  So, after I get all those projects finished, assuming I can do them all before November, I might hit the library and see if they have any knitting books with cute patterns.  I would love to have a whole little wardrobe for the peanut.  :)  


Oh, and I e-mailed two yarn stores around here to see if they know of anyone I can pay to finish my teddy bear that has so many darn pieces to sew together.  I got one e-mail back, and they are checking.  Praise the Lord!  Otherwise, I think that thing would never get finished.  I don't think I will ever knit another thing that calls for so many separate pieces again.

Hopefully, it will be a gorgeous day here.  It was cloudy, cold, and rainy yesterday.  Strange, given that it's been sweltering hot for weeks.  Husband is out of town for a boarding school reunion, so, I have the house all to myself and can do whatever fun thing I want.  For now, the plan is to take a walk, get showered and dressed, go hunt for a case or roll for all my knitting needles (for the last few years, they're all just tossing around in the bottom of a bag, which is not very safe; I would surely cry if my favorite pair of rosewood needles got broken), and maybe start peeking at maternity clothes, all the while monitoring that mailbox to see if my yarn is here!  :)  Hope you all have a great day!  

4 comments:

  1. I love that little jacket! What is the name of the book you have?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for one project down! That little hooded coat is SO CUTE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are adorable! You are way craftier than I am. :)

    ReplyDelete